Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dang, when was the last time I posted?

I realize that it has been quite awhile since I posted last. I think that I have started this blog entry a couple hundred times in my head. First off, a little running info: I have been running. Not a lot, but I have been out there. I have only been getting 8-10 miles per week (sometimes less….okay, normally less).

Last week, my wife and I accompanied my son's class to their field trip. Actually, we didn't get to go along for the whole trip. The class first went to the Golden Flake factory to watch them make chips, but parents were not allowed to go. We were kind of sad about that. We met up with them at Chuck E Cheese. Anyway, the point of this story is that before we met up with them we went to Target. Since there is not a Target in our pathetic, crap ass town, we try to stop by this one whenever we are in the area. As we were wandering through the store, we found a clearance rack near the sports gear. On the rack was Barry's Bootcamp workout kit. Came with two DVD's, stretchy bands and big inflatable pill shaped ball. All for $25. Since both of us really need to get in better shape, we got it.

I started Barry's Bootcamp on Sunday. Damn I am soo freaking out of shape (more on that in a minute). The workout routine is lower body one day, upper body the next, repeat. You take one off day per week. Since I don't want to stop running, I have started doing double workouts. Running 2 miles, then coming in the house and doing the bootcamp. I have done the double twice this week (Tuesday and this morning). I really think I like doing this. The bootcamp part is only 21 minutes… 21 minutes of hell. This means I can run and do the bootcamp before I have to get ready for work. I just get up about 5 minutes earlier.

A brief history of Needle:

Growing up, I was the fat kid. Until I was 14 or so, I was always big. Never grossly big, but definitely fat. The end of my freshman year of high school I was 5 ft tall and weighed 190-200. During the summer before my sophomore year, I discovered a love for playing basketball. By the start of my sophomore year, I was 5 ft 9 in and weighed 145 pounds. Not only had I grown taller, I had lost 50 pounds. I stayed at this weight or right around it all through college and for a few years after. I swore to myself that I would never allow myself to be the fat man again. Whenever I started to see the pounds come, I would play some basketball (college days) or start running (after college, married life). 10 years ago, when my daughter was born, I weighed about 190. This was actually a good weight for me. I looked too thin at the 140-170 range for my bone structure.

Before she was born, I ran pretty regularly. Soon after, I stopped running altogether. I was more concerned with being a new dad and all the other stuff that it just dropped from the radar. I started running again 4 years ago and it has been very off and on. Usually more off than on.

Yes, I have completed numerous 5K's, 2 half marathons and 1 failed marathon attempt. My last serious training was done for the 1st half marathon 3 ½ years ago. In the last couple of years, I have continued to pack on the pounds because I don't eat right (very bad diet) and I don't exercise enough. Those of you that have read this blog know that I have only logged 70 or so miles this year. Not going to get back in shape with that kind of effort.

Right now, I am the fat kid again.

Right now, I am taking back charge of my weight.

Right now, I am no longer accepting any of my excuses for not exercising.

Right now.

So far this week, I have completed 5 workouts including 2 doubles (run plus bootcamp). Yesterday morning, I had a kid sleeping in the living room and didn't get my bootcamp workout in (pathetic excuse, should have gone for a run).

This blog is now going to also include my weight loss. I wish I knew how to pull the info directly from daily mile, but here is what I will do until then.

Miles logged: 73

Total workouts: 34

Pounds lost: I will only do this once a week or so when I weigh myself.

Right now I feel like this:

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, fatty.

    KIDDING!

    When did you move your blog? Good thing carpeviam mentioned it, because I thought you'd just dropped off the planet because the planet felt about 250 pounds lighter.

    Kidding!

    Yeah, I was a chunky kid, too, so I know the feeling.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks G.

    I moved it the end of last week, not sure if I had any readers left to notice that I moved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Needle. You sound determined and motivated, so I'm sure the pounds are coming off for good.

    (As an added bonus, weight loss = a bigger penis. True story - Teh Bride will thank you.)

    "Deb" = LuMu, of course, and not some new, unknown degenerate. Because random strangers rarely discuss penis length. But we random moose-loving former bloggers? We're all about it...

    Good luck, Needle. Are you still planning on doing the half marathon? YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete